The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace Wattles is one of the most influential pieces of writing in the New Age Movement. Written in 1910 the book has gone on to inspire thousands of people. Rhonda Bryne was inspired to create the movie The Secret after reading the Science of Getting Rich. Bob Proctor also accredits his success to Wallace Wattles’ book, The Science of Getting Rich.
What does this 100 year old book contain that is so powerful?What is the message? Wallace Wattles does not falter with his words. He is a man who believes that we all can achieve success. He does not see a valid reason why we should accept poverty. His very first chapter is The Right to Be Rich. He says, “WHATEVER may be said in praise of poverty, the fact remains that it is not possible to live a really complete or successful life unless one is rich.”
As far as Wallace Wattles is concerned being rich is not a luxury but rather a necessity. The author does not see a justification for poverty. In fact he really puts a lot of emphasis on this and does not want readers to second guess what he means when he says rich. Wattles writes, “In this book, I shall not speak of riches in a figurative way; to be really rich does not mean to be satisfied or contented with a little. No man ought to be satisfied with a little if he is capable of using and enjoying more. ”
Therefore it is clear that Wallace Wattles is a rather serious advocate for being wealthy. He is not using the word rich as a metaphor.
The Science of Getting Rich is not a very big book. It has 17 Chapters and if ever there is one book that I would recommend to anyone, this is it! Whilst you can get a hard copy of the book from Amazon, you can read this book free online here without the need to give your email address.
In all the 17 chapters, Wallace Wattles holds us by the hand and in his emphatic tone really tells us that we have the power right within us. This power is thought. We can use our thoughts to foster abundance mentality and to visualise a richer version of ourselves.
“A thought in this substance produces the thing that is imaged by the thought. Man can form things in his thought, and by impressing his thought upon formless substance can cause the thing he thinks about to be created.”
Of course, thinking is only the beginning or the precursor. We will need to take action of course but according to Wallace Wattles, if we prepave with the right thinking then the action we take will be efficient action. This is similar to what Abraham Hicks teaches us today. If you have ever listened to their seminars, their message is that thought first, and with the right thoughts will come inspired action. Inspired action is efficient, it does not feel difficult and it produces amazing results. A lot more results than would be produced if our thoughts were negative.
He teaches us not to have the lack mentality nor to fear competition. There is no competition Wallace Wattles says. We are creators, not competitors. This universe has enough room for all of us, we all can thrive harmoniously together.
You can get a taste of the book throught the following Wallace Wattles quotes I have selected for you.
Wallace Wattles quotes from the Science of Getting Rich
- “WHATEVER may be said in praise of poverty, the fact remains that it is not possible to live a really complete or successful life unless one is rich. “
- “It is perfectly right that you should desire to be rich; if you are a normal man or woman you cannot help doing so. “
- “THERE is a Science of getting rich, and it is an exact science, like algebra or arithmetic. There are certain laws which govern the process of acquiring riches; once these laws are learned and obeyed by any man, he will get rich with mathematical certainty.”
- The object of all life is development; and everything that lives has an inalienable right to all the development it is capable of attaining.
- There is nothing wrong in wanting to get rich. The desire for riches is really the desire for a richer, fuller, and more abundant life; and that desire is praiseworthy. The man who does not desire to live more abundantly is abnormal, and so the man who does not desire to have money enough to buy all he wants is abnormal.
- Every thought of form, held in thinking Substance, causes the creation of the form, but always, or at least generally, along lines of growth and action already established.
- You may be the poorest man on the continent, and be deeply in debt; you may have neither friends, influence, nor resources; but if you begin to do things in this Way, you must infallibly begin to get rich, for like causes must produce like effects
- There is abundance of opportunity for the man who will go with the tide, instead of trying to swim against it.
- No thought of form can be impressed upon Original Substance without causing the creation of the form.
- Man is a thinking center, and can originate thought. All the forms that man fashions with his hands must first exist in his thought; he cannot shape a thing until he has thought that thing.
- Man can form things in his thought, and, by impressing his thought upon formless substance, can cause the thing he thinks about to be created.
- Get rid of the idea that God wants you to sacrifice yourself for others, and that you can secure his favor by doing so; God requires nothing of the kind.
- Intelligent Substance will make things for you, but it will not take things away from some one else and give them to you.
- You must get rid of the thought of competition. You are to create, not to compete for what is already created.
- You do not have to take anything away from any one.
- You do not have to drive sharp bargains.
- You do not have to cheat, or to take advantage. You do not need to let any man work for you for less than he earns.
- You are to become a creator, not a competitor; you are going to get what you want, but in such a way that when you get it every other man will have more than before.
- NOW that the money you need will come, even if it is necessary for a thousand men to be led to the discovery of new gold mines to-morrow.
- Never look at the visible supply; look always at the limitless riches in Formless Substance, and KNOW that they are coming to you as fast as you can receive and use them. Nobody, by cornering the visible supply, can prevent you from getting what is yours. he has now.
- But if you want a sewing machine, hold the mental image of it with the most positive certainty that it is being made, or is on its way to you. After once forming the thought, have the most absolute and unquestioning faith that the sewing machine is coming; never think of it, or speak of it, in any other way than as being sure to arrive. Claim it as already yours.
- If you fix upon your consciousness the fact that the desire you feel for the possession of riches is one with the desire of Omnipotence for more complete expression, your faith becomes invincible.
- Many people who order their lives rightly in all other ways are kept in poverty by their lack of gratitude. Having received one gift from God, they cut the wires which connect them with Him by failing to make acknowledgment.
- The more clear and definite you make your picture, then, and the more you dwell upon it, bringing out all its delightful details, the stronger your desire will be; and the stronger your desire, the easier it will be to hold your mind fixed upon the picture of what you want.- Wallace Wattles quotes
- You do not make this impression by repeating strings of words; you make it by holding the vision with unshakable PURPOSE to attain it, and with steadfast FAITH that you do attain it.
- You do not have to compel God to give you good things, any more than you have to use your will power to make the sun rise.
- You do not have to use your will power to conquer an unfriendly deity, or to make stubborn and rebellious forces do your bidding.
- Substance is friendly to you, and is more anxious to give you what you want than you are to get it.
- To get rich, you need only to use your will power upon yourself.
- Since belief is all important, it behooves you to guard your thoughts; and as your beliefs will be shaped to a very great extent by the things you observe and think about, it is important that you should command your attention
- Do not feel discouraged, or sit down and lament because you are misplaced. No man was ever so misplaced but that he could find the right place, and no man ever became so involved in the wrong business but that he could get into the right business.
- Hold the vision of yourself in the job you want, while you ACT with faith and purpose on the job you have, and you will certainly get the job you want.- Wallace Wattles quotes
- Every day is either a successful day or a day of failure; and it is the successful days which get you what you want.If every day is a failure, you can never get rich; while if every day is a success, you cannot fail to get rich.
- Remember that successful action is cumulative in its results.
- Doing what you want to do is life; and there is no real satisfaction in living if we are compelled to be forever doing something which we do not like to do, and can never do what we want to do. Wallace Wattles quotes
- Desire is a manifestation of power.
- Do not be afraid to make a sudden and radical change if the opportunity is presented, and you feel after careful consideration that it is the right opportunity; but never take sudden or radical action when you are in doubt as to the wisdom of doing so.
Which one of the above Wallace Wattles quotes was your favorite? Please remember to take the quotes in and try to apply in day to day living. Success stories have come out of simple words. With the internet we have the luxury of words of wisdom at the tip of our fingers. Be blessed and please share these Wallace Wattles quotes with someone, you may just change someone’s life for the better!