Here is some powerful depression and anxiety quotes to send negativity packing. These quotes are not only for depression and anxiety but for any other negative thoughts that often haunt us. Perhaps it is fear, worry or panic attacks or even lack in confidence, these quotes are here to inspire and uplift.
Depression and anxiety are negative emotions full stop. They sap energy out of life and they make us weak. When we are depressed we are unmotivated. What is the way out of this energy sapping state of mind? Well, this negative state of mind did not just hit us overnight. It slowly progressed over time. Negativity built in us through the things we heard, saw, read or experienced. Well, guess what? I have for you some depression and anxiety quotes for you to read. As you read these empowering quotes, you are planting tiny seeds towards positivity.
Yes, they are tiny seeds but we all know what happens with seeds; they can grow into big trees or beautiful flowers, so no need to underestimate the transformation that is possible when we read these depression and anxiety quotes.
I have broken these depression and anxiety quotes into small sections of 10 to make them easier to digest. It is also useful to take time and ponder after each section rather than rush to skim through to the bottom. This is indeed a delicious meal for the mind, may we savour it. Without further ado, let us tuck in!
Depression and Anxiety Quotes 1-10
“Never fear shadows. They simply mean there’s a light shining somewhere nearby.”
You can’t force raging water to be calm. You have to leave it alone and let it return to its natural flow. Emotions are the same way.- Thibaut
“First, you’d discover that the monster was not real. You’d realize that it was just an illusion that you never had anything to fear in the first place. You’d see that the monster had no teeth. This would be an incredible triumph.”- David D Burns
We have a choice. We can spend our whole life suffering because we can’t relax with how things really are, or we can relax and embrace the open-endedness of the human situation, which is fresh, unfixated, and unbiased. –Pema Chödron
Everything you want is coming. Relax and let the universe pick the timing and the way. –Abraham Hicks
Decide that wherever you are, is the best place there is. Once you start comparing, there’s no end to it. Sodo Yokoyama
If you relax, it comes. If you relax, it is there. If you relax, you start vibrating with it. Osho
The fastest way to get to a new and improved situations is to make peace with your current situation. -Abraham Hicks
You are in the perfect position to get there from here. –Abraham Hicks
“Gratitude places you in the energy field of plentitude. Glow with gratitude and see how awe and joy will make their home in you.” ― Michael Beckwith
What do these depression and anxiety quotes teach us. One of the main lessons from the above is that when we are in a state depression or anxiety we tend to be hard on ourselves. However, as Abraham Hicks puts it, the best thing to do is to accept where we are. We must just let it be and embrace our depression.So regardless of how you may be feeling, it is worth saying to yourself, “this is ok”. One of my favorite mantras when I find myself in an unfavorable state of mind is, “this too shall come to pass.”
In letting go of the bitterness towards ourselves we start to find a way forward.
As Pema Chodron puts it, we have a choice. Let’s embrace who we are, the depression, the laughter, the anger and the whole spectrum of our emotions. When we embrace we stop the struggle, there is no resistance and without these stumbling blocks we begin to relax and bit by bit, it is only natural that we must progress into the desirable positive states of mind.
Depression and Anxiety Quotes 11-20
“There’s nothing wrong with us. There’s nothing missing in us. Everything is for us and there is nothing against us. Let us remember this together.”― Michael Beckwith
In optimism there is magic. In pessimism there is nothing. –Abraham Hicks
“You can’t always control what goes on outside. But you can always control what goes on inside.” – Wayne Dyer
“You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” – Olin Miller
“I promise you nothing is as chaotic as it seems. Nothing is worth diminishing your health. Nothing is worth poisoning yourself into stress, anxiety, and fear.” – Steve Maraboli
“Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything.” – Mary Hemingway
“At the end of the day, tell yourself gently: ‘I love you, you did the best you could today, and even if you didn’t accomplish all you had planned, I love you anyway.” – Anonymous
“There’s an intelligence within the heart that is far bigger than our figuring out the mind.” ― Michael Beckwith
“Trust, practice, and then release yourself into the goodness of Existence and your life will prove that what you believe, you see.”- Michael Beckwith
To be calm is the highest achievement of the self. Zen proverb
There is so much wisdom in each of these depression and anxiety quotes. For example, Michael Beckwith’s quote, “There’s an intelligence within the heart that is far bigger than our figuring out the mind.”
These words give so much relief. We do not need to carry the burden ourselves. When we are reminded that there is a a far bigger intelligence, greater than what our minds can figure out, suddenly we realise how miniscule we are in this big wide universe. Our worries are miniscule for this amazing intelligence that surrounds us. The intelligence that created the beautiful mountains and the deep seas, surely our worries are easily solved. Indeed.
I also love the quote by Steve Maraboli, for sure nothing is worth diminishing our own health. Our health is precious and priceless, we must refuse to let imaginary fears weaken us or rob us of our good days. Often anxiety, depression and many other negative emotions are based on what ifs, things that have not happened but that we fear. However, we must learn to put value on the present and release the what ifs.
Depression and Anxiety Quotes 21-30
- You are free. You powerful. You are good. You are love. You have value. You have purpose. All is well. -Abraham Hicks
- “The more grateful you are for everything good that comes into your life, the more closely you place your mind in contact with that power in life that can produce greater good.”―
- Let come what comes, and accommodate yourself to that, whatever it is. Henepola Gunaratana
- There is peace even in the storm. Vincent van Gogh
- The greatest irony in the world is that you are so blessed and don’t know it. –Abraham Hicks
- Unwind, relax, and deepen into the present moment. Eckhart Tolle
- The only thing you control is how you respond. Maxime Lagacé
- The existence loves you, otherwise you would not be here. Relax into your being, you are cherished by the whole. Osho
- “There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea.” — attributed to Bernard-Paul Heroux
Hopefully, at this point these depression and anxiety quotes are bringing you some benefit. Let’s ponder on Eckhart Tolle’s words of wisdom for a moment. He says, “Unwind, relax, and deepen into the present moment.” Yes as hard as it may be to do right now but it is important to make the effort to unwind and relax, because in doing so, we begin to turn the tide towards positivity. Let what is be, let it go, surrender and for now, for this moment, think of something you can do to unwind.
Perhaps it is going out for a walk, calling an old friend, a shopping trip or even putting your head down to sleep. This is your moment to say enough over thinking, enough what ifs. It is time to lighten the load and LIVE in this moment! Your moment.
Depression and Anxiety Quotes 31-40
- You can control so much of your state of mind just by breathing. Justin Kan
- Psalm 46:10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
- The Serenity Prayer, “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can,and wisdom to know the difference.- Reinhold Niebuhr
- “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” — Martin Luther King
- Today, no matter where I am going, no matter what I am doing, it is my dominant intent to be good to me. -Abraham Hicks
- “Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Do what you can, with what you’ve got, where you are.” — Theodore Roosevelt
- “Stress is an ignorant state. It believes everything is an emergency.” — Natalie Goldberg
- “Anxiety is not fear, exactly, because fear is focused on something right in front of you – a real and objective danger.”– Robin Marantz Henig (American science writer)
Which of these depression and anxiety quotes hit a cord with you? I will pick Martin Luther’s quote. He says we do not have to see the whole staircase but to only see the next step. Yes, we may be in a dark time right now and we do not need to know what tomorrow will bring. Our mind does not need the extra burden of tomorrow’s worries. By choosing to read through these depression and anxiety quotes, we are caring for just the next step and this is enough. It is enough progress and hats off to this step.
Depression and Anxiety Quotes 41-49
- “Nothing diminishes anxiety faster than action.” – Walter Anderson
- “P.S. You’re not going to die. Here’s the white-hot truth: if you go bankrupt, you’ll still be okay. If you lose the gig, the lover, the house, you’ll still be okay. If you sing off-key, get beat by the competition, have your heart shattered, get fired…it’s not going to kill you. Ask anyone who’s been through it.” – Danielle LaPorte
- “Don’t assume I’m weak because I have panic attacks. You’ll never know the amount of strength it takes to face the world every day.” – Unknown
- “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “I am reminded of the advice of my neighbor. ‘Never worry about your heart till it stops beating.’” – E. B. White
- “Don’t let your mind bully your body into believing it must carry the burden of its worries.” – Astrid Alauda
- “Just when the caterpillar thought the world was ending, she became a butterfly.” – Barbara Haines Howett
- “Once you choose hope, anything is possible.” – Christopher Reeve
- “Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength.” – Charles Spurgeon
- “You’re worried about what-ifs. Well, what if you stopped worrying?” – Shannon Celebi
Anxiety has a tendency of making us feel like we are heading for doom and that our body is incapable. Therefore I think Walter Anderson has got it right when he says, “Nothing diminishes anxiety faster than action.” If ever you find anxiety creeping on you, one of the best things to do is to take some physical action. It may be just going for a walk, or perhaps tending to those plants in the garden. Not only will you be diverting your thoughts by engaging in something but you will also be using up that surplus adrenaline building up in your system.
By accomplishing these activities you will prove to yourself that not actually is your body capable but also your mind is capable of ignoring the anxiety. These are little triumphs that will reinforce that actually even though the anxiety is there it is actually not a big issue.
Christoper Reeve’s quote, “Once you choose hope, anything is possible.” is a worthy piece of wisdom.
There are 2 things I have derived from this quote. First is that we CAN choose! Hang on, regardless of the grip of anxiety or depression, we have a choice. Yes, it may not feel easy but just hang onto the thought that CHOOSING is possibe. Secondly we can choose HOPE. Whilst it may not be possible from a state of depression to suddenly jump for joy or find yourself in a feat of laughter, you can choose hope.
Hope gives us a lifeline, even in those dark moments of depression. By choosing hope a mental shift happens. It may only be a small mental shift, but it is a shift nonetheless. As I mentioned at the beginning, negativity just does not hit us in one go, it progresses in small mental shifts. Likewise, positivity happens in the same way.
With small steps we can develop positive mental thought patterns and shake off the negativity. Do not disregard the small steps you are taking, these are important building blocks.
Even reading these depression and anxiety quotes is a step in the right direction. Pat yourself on the back and keep on keeping on. Grab the lifeline that hope gives us and with time it is possible to have built a strong foundation to make depression and anxiety a thing of the past.