The world needs Thich Nhat Hanh quotes. Moreso in 2020 with the pandemic causing anxiety in many. Why not turn off the news and tune in to some words of wisdom that will be of benefit to your mental well being. With several publications from this peace activist, there are is no shortage of Thich Nhat Hanh quotes.
Our minds need a break, with so much going on and so many opinions being thrown across all media channels, this is a time to be proactive and decide what you tune into. If you are looking for something to bring you peace and calm, then words of wisdom from this Vietnamese monk are just the antedote you need.
Presented here is over 30 Thich Nhat Hanh quotes to ground you and to remind you that this moment is special and everything will be ok.
I invite you to sit back and take each one of them in. The best things in life are free so do not take these quotes for granted because they are free. In them lies some powerful words of wisdom that have the power to shift us from anxiety to calm, from stress to inner peace.
Thich Nhat Hanh quotes 1-20
- When we are mindful, deeply in touch with the present moment, our understanding of what is going on deepens, and we begin to be filled with acceptance, joy, peace and love.
- If you love someone, the greatest gift you can give them is your presence.
- When you say something really unkind, when you do something in retaliation your anger increases. You make the other person suffer, and he will try hard to say or to do something back to get relief from his suffering.That is how conflict escalates.
The source of love is deep in us and we can help others realize a lot of happiness. One word, one action, one thought can reduce another person’s suffering and bring that person joy.
- The present moment is filled with joy and happiness, if you are attentive, you will see it.
- For things to reveal themselves to us, we need to be ready to abandon our views about them. Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.
- You must love in such a way that the person you love feels free.
Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment I know this is the only moment.
- We have to walk in a way that we only print peace and serenity on the Earth. Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.
- Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.
My favourite out of these first 10 Thich Nhat Hanh quotes is “Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.” How often do we acknowledge the Earth, our beautiful home. How often do we send thoughts of love to this beautiful planet. Every time we take a step may we remember to acknowledge this intricate, sure, awesome planet which supports us. Despite all the wars and the seeming chaos, the Earth remains diligent and continues like clockwork.
Thich Nhat Hanh quotes 11-20
- There is no way to happiness – happiness is the way.- Thich Nhat Hanh
- People deal too much with the negative, with what is wrong. Why not try and see positive things, to just touch those things and make them bloom?
- In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change.
- “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.”―
“People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.”
- When you plant lettuce, if it does not grow well, you don’t blame the lettuce. You look for reasons it is not doing well. It may need fertilizer, or more water, or less sun. You never blame the lettuce. Yet if we have problems with our friends or family, we blame the other person. But if we know how to take care of them, they will grow well, like the lettuce. Blaming has no positive effect at all, nor does trying to persuade using reason and argument. That is my experience. No blame, no reasoning, no argument, just understanding. If you understand, and you show that you understand, you can love, and the situation will change.
- Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.
Smile, Breathe, and Go Slowly
- The seed of suffering in you may be strong, but don’t wait until you have no more suffering before allowing yourself to be happy.
- “People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don’t even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child—our own two eyes. All is a miracle.”―
From the above Thich Nhat Hanh quotes, I like the simplicity of “Smile, Breathe and Go Slowly”. Whatever situation you may be in and as hard as it may be, give yourself a break and take a moment to smile, breathe and go slowly. This is like pressing the reset button and can immediately have a positive impact on your parasympathetic nervous system.
Thich Nhat Hanh quotes 21-33
- “Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion.”―Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Through my love for you, I want to express my love for the whole cosmos, the whole of humanity, and all beings. By living with you, I want to learn to love everyone and all species. If I succeed in loving you, I will be able to love everyone and all species on Earth… This is the real message of love.”―
“Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment I know this is the only moment.”― Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.”― “My actions are my only true belongings.”― Thich Nhat Hanh
- “For things to reveal themselves to us, we need to be ready to abandon our views about them.”―
- “Our own life has to be our message.”―
- “The mind can go in a thousand directions, but on this beautiful path, I walk in peace. With each step, the wind blows. With each step, a flower blooms.”―
- “Suffering is not enough. Life is both dreadful and wonderful…How can I smile when I am filled with so much sorrow? It is natural–you need to smile to your sorrow because you are more than your sorrow.”―
“Keeping your body healthy is an expression of gratitude to the whole cosmos — the trees, the clouds, everything.”
- Usually when we hear or read something new, we just compare it to our own ideas. If it is the same, we accept it and say that it is correct. If it is not, we say it is incorrect. In either case, we learn nothing.”―Thich Nhat Hanh
- “The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers.”―Thich Nhat Hanh quotes
- “Thanks to impermanence, everything is possible.”―>Thich Nhat Hanh
- If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work.We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize.
If I have to pick one out of these very grounding Thich Nhat Hanh quotes, it has to be this one, “Thanks to impermanence, everything is possible.”―>Thich Nhat Hanh”
Wow, I found this very profound and liberating. We do not have to feel stuck or hopeless because things are always changing. So however you may be feeling right now, it is good to know that even though you may not be experiencing it right now but the seeds of change are in motion and you are already on your way to a place of feeling better.
I hope these Thich Nhat Hanh quotes ground you and bring you back to a place of peace and serenity. It is not necessary to live in a state of stress and anxiety. We can find peace in the midst of chaos but unfortunately we have to make a deliberate intention to tune into the right channels.
If you tune into everything, then chances are you will be feeding your mind with the negativity that is widespread in the media. In the words of Pema Chodron, “Treat yourself as your own beloved child.” We are protective about what we expose our children to and we can do the same to ourselves. Let’s feed our minds with positivity and inspiration and these Thich Nhat Hanh quotes are a great source of optimism.
Thank you for stopping by, have a great day!